Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Peeps vs. Circus Peanuts



I would like to respond to a question on my last post about Peeps and peanut-shaped candy.

What I believe is being referred to is a Circus Peanut. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, and I don't like to brag...but I would consider myself a bit of a "trailer-park candy" connoisseur--to which, both Peeps and Circus Peanuts qualify. I would like to note some differences between the two. (Please note: these are not technical definitions.)


Peeps are basically marshmallows covered in colored sugar. Don't be deceived by the wide array of colors they are available in. They all taste basically the same--like plain sugar. There are exceptions however, as a limited number of Peeps--in their quest for all-holiday dominance--are available in flavors such as peppermint (
Christmas-Peppermint Stars and Cookie Flavored Cut Outs) and Chocolate (Halloween-Cocoa Cats).

While Circus Peanuts would qualify as a mallow (I will go out on a limb and define "mallow" as some sort of whipped sugar), they are much more dense and not as "springy" as Peeps. They have a flavor that is really hard to describe. I wouldn't say it is entirely pleasant...more of a chemical taste--probably from the artificial orange coloring--which, by the way, will leave your teeth orange if you eat too many. Circus Peanuts are super sweet. So sweet in fact, you can get a toothache from just eating a few.


I don't want to make it sound as if I do not like Circus Peanuts--I do. I have been know to eat quite a few in a single sitting. It's just that in terms of a pure sugar rush, I find it hard to beat the tasty goodness of a Marshmallow Peep. And besides, the excitement of seeing a Peep in the microwave far out does any performance by a Circus Peanut under electromagnetic energy exposure. Good times.

4 comments:

K-country said...

Your peep is looking a little wilted.

goat said...

It needs a ride on the duck bike.

Avery Wilson said...

This is hilarious.

gwadzilla said...

Dirt Rag had an April Fools Joke as they have in every April Issue
one year they claimed that Circus Peanuts were a good energy food
I based my season on that notion
best season I ever had

http://gwadzilla.blogspot.com/2005/03/chopper-story-in-dirt-rag.html

not sure what I say in that archive